LASIK, which stands for laser in-situ keratomileusis, is a popular surgery used to correct vision in people who are nearsighted, farsighted, or have astigmatism.
All laser vision correction surgeries work by reshaping the cornea, the clear front part of the eye, so that light traveling through it is properly focused onto the retina located in the back of the eye. LASIK is one of a number of different surgical techniques used to reshape the cornea.
LASIK has many benefits, including:
Benefits of LASIK Surgery?
- It corrects vision. More than 95% of patients will have their desired vision after LASIK.
- LASIK is associated with very little pain.
- Vision is corrected nearly immediately or by the day after LASIK.
- No bandages or stitches are required after LASIK.
- After having LASIK, most patients have no need for glasses or contact lens use